18.12.14

AC4CA: one place after another











A few weeks ago I volunteered to help install an exhibition at PICA. The exhibition is called One Place After Another and its by the Australian Centre For Concrete Art (AC4CA). I'd never done anything like it before, it was really interesting. The volunteers were assigned to artists, some were from Perth and others from overseas, and each had designed a wall of the upstairs galleries. My jobs were mostly to measure things, hold string, put up a lot of tape, then paint over tape to create a really sharp line ('bridging') and later, to remove a lot of tape. The final day was a manic rush of cleaning to get ready for opening night. 

I worked on the pieces by Helen Smith (the flouro yellow 'vortex'), Jurek Wybraniec (OK OK OK), Guillaume Boulley (the white on white wall, and framed windows)* and did a small part of the purple wall-papering. Let's just say I never want to wallpaper again. You can't really see it in the photos, but it went the entire length of the upper gallery and included wonky doorways which had to be wallpapered around. I do not have the patience to wallpaper tiny squares in an exact pattern on a giant wall! This I have learned about myself.

All photos from my phone, so sorry about the blurriness. The exhibition runs until December 21 and it's free, so if you are in Northbridge pop in and see it!

*Apologies to the artists, I can't locate the names of the pieces online. These are just descriptions.

No comments: